Why River Way?
Why Choose River Way?
- Family-owned and operated for the past 51 years, the Oken family has provided positive, successful, and fun camp experiences for both children and families. With three generations still actively involved, River Way has mastered the art of using camp activities as tools to promote self-esteem, increased self-confidence, and independence.
- River Way requires its California staff applicants to attend a mandatory interview workshop allowing us one to three days to assess each potential staff applicant thoroughly.
- 100% of all staff hired has been interviewed and approved by an owner or director after passing a background check.
- River Way has some of the most caring, compassionate, and best mentors worldwide.
- River Way offers free choice activity sign-ups with over 75 activities to choose from. Campers ages 10 and over choose their activities, gaining decision-making skills and self-confidence. This prepares them for a lifetime of success.
- River Way has an impeccable American Camp Association accreditation record with scores of 99-100% consistently.
- First-time campers are River Way’s specialty.
Your child’s safety is of the utmost importance to us. Staff training includes classes which address motivation, vehicle orientation, safety, risk management, liability, behavior modification, cabin orientation, homesickness, 101 ways to praise, building self-esteem, and hours of role-playing and practice. Ski instructors, wranglers, waverunner, paintball and ropes course staff must attend additional training specific to their activity.
An infirmary is staffed with a full-time doctor, registered nurse, and nurse’s aide. A first response paramedic unit is within 20 minutes of the camp. The hospital is approximately 35 minutes from camp. Each camper must return the medical form prior to arrival.
See what activities we offer!