Why River Way?
Why Choose River Way?
- Family-owned and operated for the past 55 years, the Oken family has provided positive, successful, and fun camp experiences for both children and families. With three generations still actively involved, River Way has mastered the art of using camp activities as tools to promote self-esteem, increased self-confidence, and independence.
- River Way requires its California staff applicants to attend a mandatory interview workshop allowing us one to three days to assess each potential staff applicant thoroughly.
- 100% of all staff hired have been interviewed and approved by an owner or director and must pass a comprehensive background check.
- River Way has some of the most caring, compassionate, and best mentors worldwide.
- River Way offers free choice activity sign-ups with over 75 activities to choose from. Campers ages 10 and over choose their activities, gaining decision-making skills and self-confidence. This prepares them for a lifetime of success.
- River Way has maintained its American Camp Association accreditation, composed of rigorous scoring criteria of 100+ health and safety standards.
- First-time campers are River Way’s specialty, and campers find themselves returning summer after summer to strengthen their newly made friendships.
Your child’s safety is of the utmost importance to us. Staff training includes classes that address motivation, vehicle orientation, safety, risk management, liability, behavior modification, friendship coaching cabin orientation, homesickness, ways to praise and reinforce positive behavior, building self-esteem, and hours of role-playing and practice. Ski instructors, wranglers, waverunner, paintball, and ropes course staff must attend additional training specific to their activity.
The infirmary is staffed with a full-time doctor, registered nurse, and infirmary aide. A first response ambulance unit is within 20 minutes of the camp, and the nearest hospital is approximately 35 minutes from camp. Each camper must return the medical form prior to arrival, and members of our care team will review all camper medications and health forms to ensure our team is well-prepared for your camper’s stay with us.
See what activities we offer!